Winter Warming Soup
The winter really is here and our Nutritionist Josie has a delicious and simple recipe to warm you up and get some antioxidant rich turmeric inside the whole family! Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory herb that’s been used for centuries to treat many different ailments. Turmeric’s active compound, curcumin is incredible for its disease-fighting potential and preventive health benefits. We are sure you will love this colourful winter warming soup:
Cauliflower, Almond & Turmeric Soup
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1 large cauliflower - Roughly chopped
30g organic coconut oil
1 large red onion - finely sliced
3 cloves garlic - finely chopped
2 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. ground fenugreek
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
100g ground almonds
500ml bone broth or vegetable stock
200ml unsweetened almond milk
juice of 1 fresh lemon
roughly chopped almonds - to serve
salt and pepper to taste.
* Take the finely sliced onion, fry in the coconut oil in a large saucepan over a gentle heat for 10 minutes until softened. Now add the chopped garlic, fry gently for 2 minutes until you get the garlic aroma. Add in the turmeric, fenugreek, ginger and almonds, stir well.
* Add the chopped cauliflower, coat with the spice mixture then pour in the 500ml bone broth or stock, add a little more if necessary (remember you will be adding the almond milk later so don't drown it). Place the lid on the pan and simmer gently for 20- 30 minutes or so until the cauliflower has softened.
* Add in the almond milk and blend to your desired consistency. I kept it slightly textured by only blending up half the soup and leaving the rest nice and chunky.
* Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
* Serve with roughly chopped almonds and a drizzle of olive oil.